The Potomac Highlands Watershed School
Oh Deer! eForum Worksheets
Oh Deer! Environmental Forum Worksheets
Section #6: Solutions
1. Wolves and mountain lions were abundant in the Eastern United States until:
2. The Yellowstone National Park link discusses how wolfs:
3. In the Audubon Magazine link the “Public Menace” is:
4. The Audubon Magazine “Public Menace” article reports that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers used infrared to locate deer in an area where hunters said they had been hunted out, and they found how may per acre?
5. The Audubon Magazine “Public Menace” article concludes that “vocal sportsmen”:
6. In the Audubon Magazine “Public Menace” article, local outdoor writers Karl Power is quoted as writing: ““For me, the proverbial ‘red flag' immediately goes up any time the bird-watching Audubon people get involved in deer management. I once listened, in disgust, to an Audubon representative complain during a game commission meeting about how all of the deer were eating the low bushes where some songbirds build nests. Give me a break!”
This kind of language:
7. Using information from the WV Division of Natural Resources link match the following interests with the amount of economic damage done by deer.
_____ Forest regeneration a. $100 million
_____ Agriculture b. $750 million
_____ Recreational benefits c. $1 billion
_____ Vehicle accidents d. $14 billion
8. How is PA using fencing to help regenerate forests devastated by deer over-population?